Sunday, January 20, 2019

France at War: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

I thought this book got off to a slow start, but I decided to stick with it as I am reading a lot of books (fiction and non, with a WWII setting). I thought it was well-researched and getting an inside view of the conditions faced by the French during the Occupation, it was enlightening, as well as horrifying. 

It put a personal spin on the individual deprivations, moral dilemmas and fear faced by everyday people in a terrible situation, and the fictionalized story of the Nightingale sketched out more of the detail that would have involved members of the Resistance. 

Plot-wise, though, there were few surprises. I wanted to see, however, if I was right in my expectations of how it would all turn out, and I was, overwhelmingly. Despite that, it's a good and fast read, once the story truly gets going, if a bit formulaic. Hannah is not an author I would deliberately seek out, but I might try her again, depending on the setting and subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment