Monday, March 9, 2020

Pourquois? The Cheffe: A Cook's Novel by Marie NDiaye

Was it because it was badly translated from the French, or was it simply the writing style? I can't decide...but I was utterly disappointed by this novel. I read about ten pages, and thought I must be missing something, or that maybe it was a baffling prologue, but I continued a bit farther. Then I tried leafing through the book to see if there was anything that grabbed me. Sadly, the answer is no.

The book is written from the point of view of a long-time would-be lover of a renowned French female chef. It read as cold and impersonal, yet fawning. Very odd.

There are far too many compelling books out there on which I would rather spend my time. This one is going right back to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment