Thursday, February 27, 2020

Despair in the Center of America: Heart of Junk by Luke Geddes

The synopsis says that this a comic novel, but I found it very dark...almost dystopian. To me it was a comment on the despair of Trump's America out in the so-called "heartland".

The book is set in a failing antiques center in Wichita, Kansas. The last hope of the owner to salvage his finances, his relationships with his wife and daughter, and the disappointments of his life is the possibility of the attention he believes the center will receive when a pair of cable TV antique pickers come to film a segment for their show.

A number of the booth holders are hoping to revive their businesses with the sales they think will follow. Each of these is eccentric in his or her own way, and more than a little sad.

At the same time, a young girl in the community has gone missing, and there is an all-out effort going on to find her.

How this all unfolds is the story told here. I'm not quite sure why I stuck with this tale, as I did not come away with good thoughts. I'll be interested to see what other reviewers say.

No comments:

Post a Comment