Saturday, May 11, 2019

Actor not Writer: In Pieces by Sally Field

I had such high hopes for this memoir of the actress Sally Field, who has had an impressive career playing a textile factory worker who encourages her co-workers (Norma Rae), a Depression-era widow who keeps her family together in very tough circumstances (Places in the Heart), Mary Lincoln (Lincoln) and many more. I have always enjoyed her performances in both comedy and drama, and I thought listening to her read her memoir would be an exceptional experience.

After one disc, however, I took the audio book back to the library. Perhaps it gets more interesting later, but I found her account of her childhood whiny and boring. I just could not get past that, and while I still intend to watch her future movies and TV performances, she is just not a writer... or at least, not a good one. Maybe a good editor would have helped step up the pace and draw in the reader/listener.

I'll be interested in the comments of others, in agreement or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment