Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Quick Peek Back at 2012 – books and films

Well, here we are, one year later--isn't it time I posted to this blog again? An eventful year with a new job in a new city is responsible for taking most of my attention, but I need to be better about making time!

2012 was not a year in which I saw a whole lot of new films, for a variety of reasons, though I recently managed Lincoln and Skyfall. Both have a lot going for them.

Lincoln, based primarily on the weighty but wonderful book by Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals, was superb. Marvelous acting by all the principals, extraordinary attention to detail, especially in the lighting, which seemed so period-perfect, and a script that included much of the best of Goodwin's book.

Of course Skyfall is something entirely different, but very compelling. Not your typical James Bond caper, but something much more involving relationships and the complexities of aging. Judi Dench and  Javier Bardem gave Oscar-quality supporting performances, and Daniel Craig seemed to show more of a range than just glowering at everyone in sight, as he had in the last Bond flick. Speaking of Javier Bardem, I'm trying to catch him in as many performances as possible. Thank you Netflix, for sending me Love in the Time of Cholera, which awaits at this moment.

I did a lot better on the book side, and read quite a few. One that stands out in 2012 is The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I would call it my most memorable read of the year. I was so taken by Victoria, the central character, a lost, angry person who lived her life in foster homes and suffered terrible loss as a child. She comes into her own and reconnects with humanity through her extraordinary work with flowers.

Alexander McCall Smith continues to amaze me with his gentle, wise insights into the human condition. He seems to be one of those rare men who truly seems to understand women. And he is so prolific! The latest Isabel Dalhousie, The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds, was a delight.

A terrible loss for me came with the death of the brilliant Nora Ephron. I'm so glad to have discovered her genius so long ago--she spoke for so many women of her and my generations. RIP, Nora.

No comments:

Post a Comment